March Zoning Committee results
ZBA Application #441524 (1107 S. 6th Street)
The ZBA application at 1107 S. 6th Street presented the ZBA application at a Dickinson Square West Civic Association (DSWCA) Zoning Committee meeting on Tuesday, February 26, 2013. At that time, the applicant presented plans to construct a four-story structure with ground-floor commercial and four dwelling units above in the RSA-5 zone that require a use variance and bulk variances for height and open space. Based on feedback and a Zoning Committee letter dated March 3, 2013, revised plans showing only three dwelling units and the first floor of only commercial or office space.
The DSWCA Zoning Committee feels the bulk variances for 10.9% open space and a height of 41’ are de minimus and appropriate for the property near a major intersection. Based on revised plans, the Zoning Committee also recommends approval of the use variance for three (3) dwelling units above a first floor use of commercial or office space (not a restaurant) for 1107 S. 6th Street.
The Zoning Committee further recommends and has strongly encouraged the applicant to integrate the following comments and site improvements into their development:
- The loose, uneven boards on the sidewalk in front of the lot are dangerous and a hazard, which should be removed immediately in conformance with the Property Maintenance Code Section 302.0.
- Any security grilles and/or roll-down metal grates utilized on the site shall be see-through for safety and appearance, as outlined in the Philadelphia Design Guidelines for Commercial Facade Improvements (PCPC, p. 13).
- All trash be maintained internally, which the applicant agreed to at the presentation.
- A restaurant was not proposed during the presentation and would require additional approval from the ZBA with an additional meeting before the Dickinson Square West Zoning Committee.
ZBA Application #449912 (1313 S. Fairhill Street)
The ZBA application at 1313 S. Fairhill Street was presented the ZBA application at a Dickinson Square West Civic Association (DSWCA) Zoning Committee meeting on Tuesday, March 26, 2013. The Zoning Committee provided public notice to surrounding neighbors for that meeting (enclosed). At that time, the applicant presented plans to construct a rear second floor “bump out” addition to an existing single-family dwelling with bulk variances for the following:
- To permit 17% open space, where a minimum of thirty (30%) is required.
- To permit a rear yard variance for three (3’) feet, where a minimum of nine (9’) feet is required.
The DSWCA Zoning Committee feels the bulk variances are de minimus and similar to surrounding dwelling units; Therefore the Committee recommends the approval of the bulk variances for open space and rear yard setback at 1313 S. Fairhill Street.